Thursday, July 10, 2008

Communing with nature at the Tewks

Tonight after work I met Mom and Dad and the girls at the Tewksbury Inn for an early supper on the terrace. Sylvain had his Thursday night soccer match. On the downside ( I like to get that out of the way), we were seated at the back of the terrace at a sunny table and though the day felt cool in comparison to yesterday, it was hot sitting there! Flies were drawn our way whenever food was on the table. When Mom mentioned the sun and the flies to our server, she informed us that they had just ordered an electric fly swatter that very day! An electric fly swatter? Did I get that right? Hmm.


At any rate, we started off with glasses of wine and Shirley Temples for Maeve and Nora. So civilized and festive! Dad and I had the mussels and shared with those who were interested. The girls filled up on bread swiped in olive oil. The mussels were fine but I wasn't blown away (mussels can really do that at times). We did much better with dinner.

Dad and I both selected the delicious Canadian Turbot special- delicate fillets gently pan fried and served atop a mashed potato island in a shallow pool of lemon butter with scattered haricot verts. Perched on the fish was an "herb salad," maybe my favorite part. Mom enjoyed the Chatham Cod with roesti potato, English pea puree, and bacon and Vidalia onion. The girls both had the Bistro Chicken (with "wilted spinach, olive oil whipped potatoes and natural thyme jus"), clearly the favorite dish at the Tewks and one dish that doesn't change and never comes off the menu even as the chefs come and go. I think it is safe to say that we all were pleased with our selections.

Nora, Maeve and Dad all rallied for dessert. Not surprisingly, the girls were immediately drawn to the milk chocolate mousse cake with whipped cream and fresh raspberries. Dad had three scoops of sorbet - lemon, mango and raspberry. Tasty but again, not mind-blowing. I also tasted the "cake" and it wasn't my favorite. It was neither mousse nor cake, it was too sweet and too rich and the taste of orange zest was overpowering to me. The girls loved it and were given permission by their grandmother to use their fingers to finish the drizzles of chocolate sauce. I was seated in between them. It was gross.

No comments: