Sunday, July 6, 2008

Down On The Corner...

It is always such an effort to extract myself from my crazy life but when I do it I remember that it is almost always worth the effort (then I forget until the next time). This weekend we drove out early to Bridgehampton for our annual 4th of July weekend with Rachel and Gardner and the kids. The holiday falling on a Friday made for a shorter than usual long weekend but once we arrived time slowed and stretched. How does that work?

After a second day of biking, a cold swim at the beach and many rounds of dominoes, last night we headed to Sag Harbor in the rain for a bite to eat hoping to then take the ferry to Shelter Island for the fireworks. Destiny smiled and we managed to find two adjacent parking spaces and room for seven at the Corner Bar.

The Corner is so reassuring to someone who grew up going out to "The Hamptons." Someone who says Long Island before Bridgehampton and never exhales the dreaded H word. It is reassuringly unchanging and consistently unappealing to those who roam the streets in deep-cut, full-length patterned gowns and strappy metallic high-heeled sandals. Did I mention that the food is good too?

To start with, Rachel and I shared a dozen clams on the half shell and the boys had his and his Manhattan and New England clam chowders. Not much makes me happier than fresh raw clams with a cold draft (a pint of Bass Ale in my case) beer on a rainy summer night in a cozy bar with friends. Okay, the burger made me happier. The Corner Deluxe. I said I wanted it without fries which was stupid and just plain confusing to our server. I had to keep repeating the request. It arrived with potato chips instead of the fries and a side dish of the sauteed mushrooms and onions that are normally piled high on top. No harm done - I put the mushrooms when they belonged right on top of the bleu cheese on the perfectly medium burger. So good and complete. I was a vegetarian for 20 years but this made me forget all about vegetables for a night.

After dinner we learned that the Sag Harbor fireworks were to take place shortly just down the street so we abandoned plans for further travel, retrieved our beach chairs and joined the crowd for rounds of "ooh!" "ahhhh!" and "that one is so cool!"


http://www.cornerbarsagharbor.com/

No comments: